U is a temporary immigration category for victims of certain crimes who have cooperated in the investigation or prosecution of the crime. Once a person whose U visa case is approved has been in U status for three years, they can apply for permanent residence.

If you were unfortunately the victim of a crime in the U.S. and wonder if this presents an opportunity to legalize, contact Saev Hernandez Immigration Practice for a comprehensive evaluation. The attorneys will examine the police report or other investigative records to help you determine whether the crime of which you were a victim is a qualifying crime. If it is a qualifying crime, the next step is to seek certification of helpfulness from the police department, prosecutor’s office, or other agency investigating the crime. Assuming the agency certifies helpfulness, now you can apply for U classification along with a waiver of any applicable grounds of inadmissibility.