The R-1 visa classification is reserved for foreign nationals who are coming to the United States to work to work as a minister or in a religious vocation or occupation at a non-profit religious organization or another organization that is affiliated with such a religious organization. The foreign national must have been a member of a religious denomination, which has a non-profit religious organization in the United States, for at least two years immediately before the filing of the R-1 petition. The U.S. petitioning organization must either have evidence its own non-profit 501(c)(3) designation from the Internal Revenue Service or must be affiliated with another religious organization that has already obtained such a designation. The petitioner must also provide certain financial documentation to the government. US Immigration Service agents also conduct in-person site visits to confirm the terms of employment for certain religious organizations. R-1 workers are initially admitted for up to 2.5 years and may renew their status for up to 2.5 more years. Family members of the principal worker qualify for R-2 status.