The K-1 is a visa for the fiancé/fiancée of a U.S. citizen who intends to come to the U.S. to marry. The U.S. citizen must first file a fiancé petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), which takes some months to be decided. Then, the foreign national fiancé files a visa and is interviewed at the U.S. consulate in his or her country of origin. The consulate requires evidence of a good faith or “real” relationship for the interview.

Around the world, many K-1 visas are denied at the interview stage, and careful preparation can make a big difference. If the K-1 visa is issued, the foreign national travels to the U.S. in K-1 status, and must marry within 90 days or return abroad. If the marriage occurs as planned within 90 days of entry, as the final stage of the case, the foreign national applies for adjustment of status to permanent residence.