The F-1 Visa category is an option for an academic student who will enroll as a full-time student at an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school, or other academic institution or in a language training program. The F-1 student must be enrolled in a program or course of study that ends in a degree, diploma, or certificate and the school must be authorized by the U.S. government to accept international students.

F-1 students can work in the U.S. under certain circumstances. Foreign students may be able to work on campus, and off-campus options include:

  • ➼ Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • ➼ Optional Practical Training (OPT) (pre-completion or post-completion)
  • ➼ Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT).